KDE 4.1 "for testers only"

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Fri Aug 1 14:40:40 BST 2008

On Friday 01 August 2008 09:19, Antonio Augusto (Mancha) wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 07:15, Krzysztof Lichota <krzysiek at lichota.net>
wrote:
> > 2008/7/31 Christian A. Reiter <chris.reiter at gmx.at>:
> >> Agreed KDE4.0/4.1 are two pairs of shoes. But "even" I (as 5 years Linux
> >> user) have my problems with Kubuntu/KDE4.1 and stay with 3.5 ATM.
> >>
> >> Everyone knows that Ubuntu has less efforts polishing KDE than GNOME.
> >> That's not bad, just decicion. And kubuntu-kde4-desktop with ppa-KDE4.1
> >> IS LESS STABLE than kubuntu-desktop.
> >> That's all I want to say - and that that should be made transparent.
> >
> > Given this fact I think the decision of not shipping KDE 3.5 with
> > Intrepid is shooting yourself in the foot for Kubuntu, especially
> > given the fact that Hardy is not LTS and cannot act as safe harbour
> > for people who need stable system. They will just drift away to other
> > distributions or Ubuntu with Gnome.
>
> While i partially agree with you in this. I think this was a decision
> of the Kubuntu Concil for the best in the long term.
> Putting the effort to keep two KDE versions would be hard, especially
> if we are trying to get the same level of polishiness as Gnome.
> As said before Kubuntu simple doesn't have the same manpower as Ubuntu
> to develop the KDE desktop as what it should be (thou i think it can
> really be done!)
>
> Cheers,
> KM

Personally, I don't think we had any choice at least in one regard:
displayconfig.

The current displayconfig for KDE3 that's in Hardy I managed to patch up well
enough to work with Hardy's X and just throw it over the finish line.  To
work well with even Hardy's X and to be usable with future X versions that
are even more oriented towards Xrandr and no xorg.conf would require a
substantial rewrite that no one is willing to undertake.

So, any KDE3 desktop we might have chosen to deliver with Intrepid would have
been horribly broken in at least that respect.

Scott K