Where can I?

David McGlone david.mcglone at att.net
Wed Sep 19 23:49:01 BST 2007

Hello all, I joined the list a couple days ago because I wanted to share an
observation I have seen concerning the Fan not working correctly on some
computers.

I Joined the launchpad community, but haven't found a place where I can let
someone know about this, so I thought I would ask about it for the future and
share my observation here.

I and many other people have been having an issue with the fan not working
correctly.

Anyway, the other day I was trying to find a work around and I downloaded the
new beta release of Kubuntu and Fedora 7 both live CD's. I started with the
Kubuntu CD and I got the same symptoms of the fan not running after making a
choice in grub. KDE started and the computer would shut down during
installation, so I wanted to see if Fedora did the same, so I rebooted and at
the grub screen I used the arrow keys to stop the countdown so I could get
the fedora CD in and to my suprise the fan would run correctly all they way
up through the installation process, but this wasn't the case for kubuntu
7.04 or the beta release.

So I had to give up for a while so I shut down the computer. Later I booted
back up to my working desktop and decided to try installing fedora 7 again so
I popped in the CD rebooted and the fan wouldn't come on after choosing the
option to run the live CD. I was getting the same symptoms at the kubuntu
CD's, but it worked before. So I got curious and started experimenting with
how I booted fedora the last time and I found that stopping grubs countdown
inserting the Fedora CD then using CTRL + Alt + Del to restart the computer
would allow the fan to keep running after a menu choice was made. But sadly
this doesn't work with Kubuntu or the beta release.

I hope this helps. I'd like to see K/Ubuntu fixed in this area so I don't have
to direct a house fan into my case to install and keep it running.

--
David M.

If I received .01 cent for every person
that has to put in their .02 cents