Introduction

Jos Poortvliet jos at mijnkamer.nl
Wed Oct 24 22:22:25 BST 2007

On 10/24/07, Laurent Colloud <laurent.colloud at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just suscribed to the mailing list and I would love to get involved in
> Kubuntu development but I'm not sure how to get started.
>
> I would like to contribute on the software side. I know C++ and Ruby.

Well, I know a neat little project ;-)
If you can write a small tool to format harddrives and usbsticks...
Stick the option to it in the menu of media devices, and we can
finally format our external devices from the gui ;-)

Hehe, just an idea...

But more seriously, it's great you wanna help, and there is plenty to
do, I'm sure. A nice way to start would be to begin getting Qt/KDE4 to
compile and run. Of course, you don't have to work on KDE to
contribute to Kubuntu, but afaik most Kubuntu stuff is currently being
written in Qt4, often with python. And as KDE 4 libs are in Kubuntu,
KDE 4 based stuff will run too - even if it is run within KDE 3.

I'm sure others can provide more details on what tools or apps might
need help (or be written).