kde4 svn development with kubuntu

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 15:33:35 BST 2007

Hi,

The kde techbase wiki describes how to set up a kde4 development environment
(http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4). One part of that is
installing qt-copy from the kdesvn repository. The Qt section says it's
possible to use distro provided packages with debian
(http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4#Qt). The same seems to
be true of Kubuntu feisty. It provides the following packages:

stephen at wopr:~$ aptitude search kdecopy
c   libqt4-core-kdecopy             - Qt 4 core non-GUI functionality
p   libqt4-debug-dev-kdecopy        - Qt 4 debugging development files
p   libqt4-debug-kdecopy            - Qt 4 debugging runtime libraries
p   libqt4-dev-kdecopy              - Qt 4 development files
c   libqt4-gui-kdecopy              - Qt 4 core GUI functionality runtime
c   libqt4-qt3support-kdecopy       - Qt 3 compatibility library for Qt 4
c   libqt4-sql-kdecopy              - Qt 4 SQL database module
c   qt4-designer-kdecopy            - Qt 4 Designer
c   qt4-dev-tools-kdecopy           - Qt 4 development tools
p   qt4-doc-kdecopy                 - Qt 4 API documentation
c   qt4-qtconfig-kdecopy            - Qt 4 configuration tool

I'd prefer not to have to keep qt-copy up-to-date by recompiling it and use
repo packages instead, as I use an old and not very powerful laptop.

Which packages should be installed to create an equivalent to compiling it
as described in techbase? How up-to-date with svn are the packages?

Attempting to install libqt4-{core,gui}-kdecopy would remove the python-qt4
package, which I'd prefer not to do. Is this a bug that should be fixed?

As qt4.3 is backported to feisty, can I just use that instead of
the -kdecopy versions?

If I use repo packages, will I have to reset the $QTDIR environment
variable? What else will I have to do?

The kdesupport module contains kde4 dependancies because distros may not be
supplying them yet, such as eigen soprano strigi qimageblitz. kubuntu
feisty includes these packages. Can I use them instead of compiling
kdesupport? Again how up-to-date are they etc?

Also, what is the situation regarding these issues and kubuntu gutsy?

I hope that's clear enough. Thanks for any responses. If you have any other
information regarding kde4 development with kubuntu in general I'd like to
see that too.

All the best,

Steve.