guidance-powermanager's "switching to bat. mode" popup - is it useful?

Luka Renko lure at ubuntu.com
Wed May 16 17:32:48 BST 2007

On Wednesday 16 May 2007 18:23:45 Martin Böhm wrote:
> Both Sebas and Avdi's points are valid, but you can still monitor if the
> cord is plugged in using the battery icon change. Is there a need for the
> pop-up then? I believe folks like you can either learn to monitor the tray
> icon (you do that already with the network manager) or you can set the
> notifications once it is customizable.

A do not agree that this can be compared with network manager - when network
connection is lost, I will get some other error soon (from first app
accessing the network), confirming the fact that connection is lost. With
lost power, I might get aware of it too late: when I am running out of
battery juice. This is particularly important for users that move a lot
between power sockets (e.g. meeting rooms...) and want to be sure that they
are really plugged when socket is available. Watching the icon is really not
good option.
So even if we have this configurable, I would preffer having it on by default
(and presented the notification feature to all users), than having it off
(and maybe have users that are unaware of this useful feature).

Regards,
Luka