Kubuntu Restricted Extras

Harald Sitter sitter.harald at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 13:38:06 BST 2007

On Sunday 10 June 2007 14:32:39 Chris wrote:
> Am Sonntag 10 Juni 2007 14:06 schrieb Harald Sitter:
> > On Sunday 10 June 2007 09:13:12 Sarah Hobbs wrote:
> > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kubuntu-meta/+bug/78568
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > There's a wishlist bug above, which is a good idea, and not hard to
> > > implement.
> > >
> > > Currently, the proposed apps to go into kubuntu-restricted-extras, are:
> > >
> > > *  libxine1-plugins (libxine1-ffmpeg replaces libxine-extracodecs, and
> > > is a dependancy of libxine1-plugins)
> > > *  flashplugin-nonfree
> > > *  sun-java6-plugin
> > > *  libdvdread3
> >
> > I'm not entirely sure whether msttcorefonts should also be part of it. On
> > the one hand it would increase interoperability with Windows systems, but
> > on the other hand users might start using MS fonts as the default ones
> > ... which makes at least me feel uncomfortable.
> >
> > > This is what ubuntu-restricted-extras depends on:
> > >   Depends: gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
> > >   Depends: gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse
> > >   Depends: msttcorefonts
> > >   Depends: flashplugin-nonfree
> > >   Depends: sun-java6-plugin
> > >
> > > What else would we want to go into the kubuntu-restricted-extras
> > > package?  All of the packages need to be in the ubuntu archive, whether
> > > main/restricted/universe/multiverse.
> > >
> > > Possibly some form of lame/liblame?
> >
> > What for? I thought we want encourage people to use OGG-Vorbis, and since
> > playback possability of MP3 is provided by libxine1-ffmpeg most users
> > might already be happy with including this.
>
> Sad truth is that to many users Ogg Vorbis is of little use because their
> mobile mp3 players / media devices at home and so on won't play it.
> Ogg Vorbis should be the prefered method for creating new audio tracks in
> Kubuntu, but definitely not the only one that's easily accessible.
>
> The idea of this extra package obviously is to give users easier access to
> those restricted (and therefor not favored) formats that they may want or
> need - in addition to those free alternatives that are installed by
> default.

Hm, ok, it just popped into my mind... Amarok transcodes on the fly to MP3 -
if lame is installed, so maybe we should add it? Or deactivated ripping to
MP3 in K3b but ship Amarok with transKode script?

hm, talking about transKode, I should package that script

--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu-de.org Packager