Guide to getting mp3 and video working

Subs subs at divilment.com
Thu Jan 11 10:22:40 GMT 2007

Thanks a million for your help Lothar, Sarah & Frank. I have a much more
multimedia-enabled system now.

The only things I found is that I ensured that libdvdread3 and then
executed...

sudo  /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/examples/install-css.sh

... but got the error...

sudo: /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/examples/install-css.sh: command not found

... instead I used...

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh

... and it worked. Perhaps the documentation on the website be updated
accordingly to take account that the install-css.sh script may be under the
libdvdread3 directory and not the examples directory. Either way these steps
are a big ask for a newbie kubuntu/ubuntu user. Is there a script out there
that will do all these things without user interaction. It shouldn't be hard
to do - might even give it a go myself.

One of the multiverses must not have been enabled (even though I definately
enabled them all - by uncommenting all entries in /etc/apt/sources.list and
also installing Synaptic and ensuring everything was ticked there too). I
think that when Amarok offered to install mp3 support (pretty nifty touch by
Amarok I have to say) it added another multiverse repository to the list or
something. I have since been able to install the problematic
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse package. Phew! A lot of work for today!

Thanks again for all the help!

Kind regards,
Subs