Guide to getting mp3 and video working

Frank Siegert hugelmopf at web.de
Thu Jan 11 07:15:51 GMT 2007

,---- Sarah Hobbs wrote:
| Subs wrote:
| > subs at mydomain:~$ sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-pitfdll
| > gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
| > gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
| > gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse gxine libxine-main1
| > libxine-extracodecs ogle ogle-gui
| > Reading package lists... Done
| > Building dependency tree
| > Reading state information... Done
| > E: Couldn't find package gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse
| >
| > What's a girl to do?
|
| Install all the other dependancies.  ie:
| sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-pitfdll gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
| gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
| gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse gxine libxine-main1
| libxine-extracodecs ogle ogle-gui

This seems like exactly the same command, Subs used. And even if not, apt-get
should pull in dependencies by itself.
It rather seems like you don't have the multiverse repository enabled, Subs?
  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories

| I think you need libdvdcss2 as well, which you cant get from libdvdread3
| anymore.  I've been meaning to ask about that, as that stops DVD's
| playing, and debian's decision was "we have multimedia repositories, use
| them instead" - we used to have a shell script.

There actually is a script in /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh, as
documented on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs

--
Frank