herd 4 install report

Yuriy yuriy.kozlov at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 08:56:48 GMT 2007

On 2/18/07, Luka Renko <lure at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > First, my resolution (1400x1050) was not detected correctly.  This is
> > not new, what package would that be a bug against?
>
> Do you have ATI card? It may be duplicate of https://launchpad.net/bugs/61390
> Note: there is work being done to include xorg 7.2 that may fix this.
I have nvidia.  Hopefully 7.2 will fix it.

> > After installation:
> > Installing the updates, the qt frontend to debconf came up, but it had
> > an error, so the dialog didn't work.  I had to install the updates
> > with aptitude.  I don't remember what it was because I thought I took
> > a screenshot, but I can't find it.
>
> What kind of error? I have only once had some error about "cannot set nice
> level to -19" or something, bot otherwise adept is working ok now (there are
> still some crashes here and there).
> You should try to reproduce this and open bug.

That was the error!  It came up a couple times (99 updates) and then
adept quit on trying to install the updates.  Everything installed
fine with aptitude, and IIRC there wasn't a debconf question.  Maybe I
could reproduce it by updating on the live-cd to get the same
configuration I had when I got the errors.

One more thing I forgot about:
I always do fresh installs, but don't repartition.  Every time by
default the installer chooses the largest partition (out of 5,
including swap) to be root (/), while in fact my largest partition is
/home and / is one of the smaller ones.  I think that if there are
multiple ext3 partitions on a drive, the installer should pick the
largest one to be /home (right now it doesn't set a /home).  This ties
into that I think it _should_ make a /home partition by default, but
I'm specifically talking about when there already is one, it just
needs to assign the mount points more sensibly.  I realize this is
more of a ubuntu-devel issue thouhg.