Kubuntu LTS

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Sat Dec 22 18:04:15 GMT 2007

Hi Sebas,

Am Sat, 22 Dec 2007 17:46:30 +0100
schrieb Sebastian Kuegler <sebas at kde.org>:

> On Thursday 20 December 2007 18:05:33 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > Users currently running Kubuntu 6.06 will be able to upgrade through
> > the usual path to Kubuntu 8.04, keeping to the KDE 3.5 release
> > series, and will receive the usual 18 months of support for that
> > release. Future Kubuntu releases are likely to be based on the KDE 4
> > series.
>
> I'm a bit confused. Does this mean for _new_ installations, the
> default will be KDE4?

I don't think so, and it's not wise to have a still buggy kde 4 desktop
as a default.

> Other than that, I feel sorry for the whole Kubuntu team for the lack
> of recognition of the stability of a 3.5-based release.

/me too...from the marketing PoV it would be better to have a LTS
release then nothing.
Yeah, there is no deal about the LTS, and I wonder why the decision was
made..but just for having developer kde4 on board doesn't mean that we
shouldn't do an LTS...

The only point I can think of, why we shouldn't have an LTS at all, is
the lack of development resource for supporting a beast like kde for 5
years, which means, there is and won't be a change in the thinking of
hiring paid devs for kubuntu...

And I know, that Riddell is really at his limits...

\sh