Kubuntu LTS

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 20:22:25 GMT 2007

On Dec 20, 2007 12:59 PM, Krzysztof Lichota <krzysiek at lichota.net> wrote:

> Jonathan Riddell napisał(a):
> > Since KDE 4 is a major change to the platform, it is not currently at
> > one of these natural rest points so would not be suitable for long
> > term support.  Instead, due to the very high interest, development
> > efforts will be directed towards KDE 4 and releasing Kubuntu 8.04 with
> > the option of using either KDE 3.5 or KDE 4.
> >
> > Users currently running Kubuntu 6.06 will be able to upgrade through
> > the usual path to Kubuntu 8.04, keeping to the KDE 3.5 release series,
> > and will receive the usual 18 months of support for that
> > release. Future Kubuntu releases are likely to be based on the KDE 4
> > series.
>
> I thought support for LTS version is 3 years, not 18 months?
> Could you clarify that?
>
> Regards
>
>        Krzysztof Lichota

Ok confused on this.  Are we shipping a LTS version of Kubuntu and a non-LTS
version of Kubuntu?  After reading Rich's (nixternal) blog I'm even more
confused.
"Yes, you heard that right! Kubuntu 8.04, the Hardy Heron, will provide you
the option of using either KDE 3.5 or KDE 4. Jonathan Riddell just posted
the news in an email to the Kubuntu Developer's mailing list, and you can
read that email right
HERE<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-devel/2007-December/002066.html>.
We are going to focus on getting the bugs fixed in 3.5 and creating room for
a Kubuntu with KDE 4. This means that Kubuntu 8.04 will not be an LTS (Long
Term Support) release and will offer the typical 18 months of support. After
the 8.04 release you can pretty much bet on Kubuntu being a KDE 4 release
only"

I think we are doing a disservice if we aren't doing a LTS version.  Can
someone help me out?

Jonathan