Kubuntu Gutsy wallpaper discussion

Michael D. Stemle, Jr. manchicken at notsosoft.net
Wed Aug 15 15:10:12 BST 2007

On Wednesday 15 August 2007 06:12:36 Stefan Skotte wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Great idea to write it out to the list... I would like to see something
> like nature photos, but unfortunately I dont think its in everyones
> taste. So...
>
> I have collected a few good (I think so) contenders for wallpaper:
>
> http://enhance-it.dk/wallpaper/37708-palm.svg (green)
> http://enhance-it.dk/wallpaper/colorwaves-BLUE.jpg (blue - dark)
> http://enhance-it.dk/wallpaper/pic-3972.jpg (blue - light streaks)
>
> Maybe these can be adapted or inspire kwii..
>
> Kind regards,
> Stefan Skotte
>
> Martin Böhm wrote:
> > Dear List,
> > the feature freeze is getting closer, so I spent a moment thinking
> > about non-development stuff a bit, namely the current Kubuntu Gutsy
> > wallpaper.
> >
> > I think the pattern in it is not a bad one, but the colour used is not
> > really good for daily use. I think it's too bright. I would really go
> > for a darker shade of blue or another similar colour.
> >
> > I'm not an art expert, so I think the best way to find out whether the
> > people will (dis)like the background is to ask them. So I'd like to
> > ask you:
> >
> > What do you think about the current wallpaper?
> >
> > I think it's really important to know your opinion to refine and
> > improve the artwork, because even though we're developers, when it
> > comes to art, we're mostly on the same level as the users.
> >
> > Here is a link to the current Gutsy wallpaper (to refresh your memory) :
> > http://mhb.ath.cx/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/kubuntu-wallpaper.png
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Martin Böhm
> >
> > PS: Ken, I hope you won't be angry at me for this :o)

These look pretty good, but I would like to remind folks that widescreens are
really becoming more and more common.  I'm not sure about other countries,
but in the US it seems like more and more manufacturers are moving to
widescreen displays.  It seems like we have previously considered widescreen
displays to be exceptions, and it does seem like it's becoming more of the
norm.  All of these backgrounds look great, but it would be nice to see some
widescreen ones come out.

</2-cents>

--
~ Michael D. Stemle, Jr. <><
(A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nfluence with large hammer