[kubuntu-devel] Kubuntu Tribe 4 Alternate Install problems

John Levin john at technolalia.org
Tue Aug 14 13:06:36 BST 2007

Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 01:07:42PM +0100, John Levin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am having trouble with the Kubuntu Alternate Tribe 4 cds.
>>
>> I previously filed a bug about the Tribe 3 alt install stalling:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/debian-installer/+bug/130378
>> The Tribe 4 cd doesn't stall, so this bug can be closed, but towards the
>> end of the install process, flashes up the message:
>>
>> "Please insert the disc labeled: 'Kubuntu 7.10_Gutsy Gibbon_ - Alpha
>> i386 (20070808)' in the drive '/cdrom/' and press enter."
>>
>> However, the cd is in the drive, and in any case, the cd drive won't open.
>>
>> The Ubuntu Alt 4 installs successfully, so this appears to be a Kubuntu
>> specific problem. What component whould I file a bug under?
>
> debian-installer, although you should verify the CD you are using
> since tribe CDs were tested before release and I didn't see anything
> like this.
>
> Jonathan

Yes, I verified the cd, twice, and verified the tribe 3 cd as well.

I've since downloaded the iso afresh, checked it and tried installing
again, but this time I'm getting a different error message:
"An Installation Step Failed:
Select and Install Software"

As everything works as a VM, I'm guessing the problem is a specific
piece of hardware, although this is a bog standard dell latitude notebook.

Bug filed:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/debian-installer/+bug/132429

John