new powermanager and battery

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Sep 1 08:43:07 BST 2006

Hi Hervé,

Thanks for your feedback, here are some comments. Maybe Ellen has some
additional input.

On Thursday 31 August 2006 16:10, Hervé Fache wrote:
> FWIW I have two batteries in my 'old' laptop, so if I can help, I'll
> be happy to. Note that I do not necessarily have much time to do
> things, but I can try. I have some code knowledge, so if you intriduce
> me to your code, I can at least help debug and point to the problems
> if any.
>
> Ideally, the user (me) wants to know about 15 minutes from end of
> battery that it's dying, so she can hibernate now and still have a bit
> left later to restart and double check the meeting room number... 5
> minutes from the end, she probably wants a big warning saying she
> should hibernate NOW!
>
> About 1 minute from the game over, the computer could decide to
> hibernate not risk losing data, but maybe we could not force anything
> on the user in case she needs as much time as possible, in which case
> remounting the filesystems 'sync' might be a better option (I am
> thinking of a researcher collecting data for example: the more the
> better).
>
> Hoping that helps more than confuses the matter,

It certainly helps a bit about getting to know what a user (!=me) would want.
Here's my take: I want to know 15 minutes from battery is empty.

Currently, I've implemented two levels: BATTERY_WARNING (set to 8%) and
BATTERY_CRITICAL (set to 4%). BATTERY_WARNING shows a passive popup,
notifying of a battery running low, BATTERY_CRITICAL shows a popup and
suspends (that one is configurable) immediately. Thinking of that, maybe a
timeout and the option to cancel it would be nice, but then I'm using
suspend2 and I can cancel while suspending anyway.

One of the problems using minutes as a unit is that it depends on the battery
and usage scenario. Here's an example: I'm idling for some time now thus
using hardly any battery power, the battery is running out and I only have
one minute left so the hibernate kicks in. Hibernate uses the disk and more
processor power (it might even be compressing the image) and all of a sudden,
I use 3 times as much energy than while idling. The minute left is
effectively only 20 seconds anymore and hibernate might die in the process
running out of power.

My conclusion would be that we should use percent as a unit and make the
numbers configurable for varying battery capacities -- 10 minutes might be 8%
based on a 2h battery, it might be 5% based on a 4h battery. Worn-out
batteries might be another use case.
In the UI (tooltip), we would then need to display both, percent remaining and
minutes remaining based on current rate.
--
sebas

Accident, n.:	A condition in which presence of mind is good, but absence of
body is better.  - Foolish Dictionary