Edgy Default Windeco.

Scott geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Fri Oct 13 19:33:50 BST 2006

", "Kenneth Wimer spake thusy);:
> Hi ,
>
> On Thursday 12 October 2006 08:08, Scott wrote:
>> On Wednesday 11 October 2006 09:52 pm, Kenny Duffus (kenny at duffus.org)
>>
>> spake thusly:

>>> you can change it in System Settings -> Appearance -> Window
>>> Decorations
>> Actually you can't. That's why this thread began.  The "Kubuntu" buttons
>> are different in Edgy than they were in Dapper.
>
> Correct.
>
>> The options are Crystal Default, Crystal Aqua, Crystal Knifty,
>> Handpainted, SVG, Vista and Kubuntu.
>>
>> None of which resembles the default in Dapper.
>> --
>
> Perhaps we should/could include the old buttons as "kubuntu-dapper" or such.
> In any case, I am pretty sure that it is too late to add them for edgy.

Either option would rock.  Neither would umm... never mind  :-)

It sounds like that Ubuntu artwork is still in flux and subject to
change before the Edgy release. So I'd hope a fix on the Kubuntu side is
possible.

Honestly I'm baffled as to the change.  As I stated previously, the
Kubuntu default Windeco in Edgy is nice and more consistent with the
Ubuntu default (style wise).  However, the Kubuntu Dapper Windeco was
(imo) one of the nicest and most unusual I'd seen in a while.  I love
the shape of the buttons. That 3-D, rounded, concave, rectangle look is
really nice. It's nicer than the Edgy buttons.  I wonder who disagreed
with this? :-)

> I think that it would be a good idea for edgy+1 to include a few other nice
> pieces of artwork in the default setup (like a couple extra wallpapers, etc.)

Not unlike KDE itself does.

> Another idea I had was to include the different color versions of the final
> default wallpaper or several designs along the same line, but with different
> colors as apple does (the abstract stuff, I mean).

That would be cool too. Although wallpaper isn't as important to me.
There are a bazillion out there. And I never stick with default
wallpapers anyway.

On the other hand, there is a vast shortage of good KDE themes (compared
to GNOME) and sadly KDE themes are 10 x harder to install than GNOME themes.

So whenever I can get my hands on KDE themes in .deb format, I grab them.

In the meantime, I might try to hack my way into the Dapper source and
see if I can somehow yank that one button out.  I doubt it though.....

In fact now that think about it, it wouldn't work.  The Kubuntu button
is part of the Crystal Windeco in both Dapper and Edgy.  So the theme
itself needs to be modified to include the extra buttons.

Meanwhile I guess if I decide I truly prefer old to new, I'll use the
Dapper package in Edgy (once edgy gets released - lest I see my package
overwritten 20 times with updates).

--
	Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com