Question on Hibernate/Stand By on a laptop -- Possible Bug??

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at
Tue Mar 14 01:05:30 GMT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: kubuntu-devel-bounces at
[mailto:kubuntu-devel-bounces at]On Behalf Of Michael
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 4:01 PM
To: Kubuntu Developer Discussion
Subject: Re: Question on Hibernate/Stand By on a laptop -- Possible

Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Monday 13 March 2006 15:14, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
>> I have noticed that if I put my laptop into stand-by mode (Fn+Esc) with a
>> USB mouse still attached to it, I cannot get the laptop to return to
>> operation, need to kill the power for it.
>> Anyone else experiencing this issue?
> It's probably a kernel bug. Does it work if you unload the host controller
> driver (here, it's uhci_hcd) before suspending en reload afterwards? You
> might want to stop hotplug before and restart it afterwards, if you use
> to prevent having the driver reloaded automatically.)

USB is known to be problematic on STD and STR on linux. powersaved
therefore unloads the usb_storage, ohci_hcd and uhci_hcd modules before
entering STR/STD.

Sorry, not very technical, but what does this mean in simple language?  Does
unplugging my USB mouse "unload" the device?