Proposal for resolving powernowd/apmd vs. (k)powersave conflict

Luka Renko 74.luka at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 20:40:19 GMT 2006

I have reinstalled my notebook (Flight4 + all updates) - this time
without ubuntu-desktop. Latest Dapper kernel has broken hibernation
(suspend to disk), but it works with 2.6.15-15. See bug
https://launchpad.net/bugs/34617

> >> /proc/acpi/event: Device or resource busy
> > I did not experience this problem, therefore I am not sure what is
> different
> > on my machine from Achim's.
> Did you upgrade while running X? Do you have X PM disabled?

No, I did not have X PM disabled.
Now on clean system, I got the same error as Achim. Reboot helped.
It may be just timing issue and at first install acpid was restarted
faster than X was able to take it over...

> If you can provide more information, we could try to find your problem.
> Regarding STR, did you read the the documentation of powersaved?
> I had to add acpi_sleep=s3_mode,s3_bios to my boot parameters to get STR
> work properly (btw. the powersave documentation was the first location
> where I found this information. So kudos to the doc writers of
> powersaved), otherwise my display always freezed on wakeup. After that
> STR worked like a charm for me.

I have tried all kind of possibilities and did not help. Only new hint
was vga=normal, but even this one does not help me. :-( I just think
that ATI FireGL V5000 is too strange for kernel to wake it up
properly.
Suspend to Disk works now (with 2.6.15-15 kernel).

> > libtool: link: cannot find the library `/lib/libsysfs.la'
> > make[3]: *** [powersaved] Error 1
> >
> > Somehow I suspect that this might be related to this changelog entry:
> >
> >   * Build against libcpufreq0 which uses libsysfs2. Closes: #354738
>
> libcpufreq has to be recompiled to pick up the now location of the
> libtool la file of libsysfs. This is a problem of cpufrequtils and it's
> probably best to file a bug report or request a binNMU for cpufrequtils.
> It's not a problem of powersave.

I am now following you on this - which package is supposed to install
/lib/libsysfs.la? libsysfs-dev?  What is binNMU???

Regards,
Luka