Proposal for resolving powernowd/apmd vs. (k)powersave conflict

Michael Biebl biebl at teco.edu
Sun Mar 12 02:03:54 GMT 2006

Luka Renko wrote:
> I have installed these packages and have to say the kpowersave has improved
> again. I like multi battery display.
>
>> Richte powersaved ein (0.12.2-1ubuntu1) ...
>>>  * Reloading system message bus
>> config                                                                     [
>> ok ]
>>>  * Stopping ACPI
>> services...
>> [ ok ]
>> modules...
>> [ ok ]
>>>  * Starting ACPI services...     acpid.real: can't open
>> /proc/acpi/event: Device or resource busy
>

> I did not experience this problem, therefore I am not sure what is different
> on my machine from Achim's.

Did you upgrade while running X? Do you have X PM disabled?

> Besides these packaging issues, did (k)powersave work for you? Any
>> problems so far?
>

> My main issue is that Suspend to disk (hibernate) does not work. Suspend to
> RAM did not  work before, therefore it is no news that it does not work.
> Machine suspends properly, but on resume it hangs just before it should
> switch to KDE (just after reading from swap).

If you can provide more information, we could try to find your problem.
Regarding STR, did you read the the documentation of powersaved?
I had to add acpi_sleep=s3_mode,s3_bios to my boot parameters to get STR
work properly (btw. the powersave documentation was the first location
where I found this information. So kudos to the doc writers of
powersaved), otherwise my display always freezed on wakeup. After that
STR worked like a charm for me.

> libtool: link: cannot find the library `/lib/libsysfs.la'
> make[3]: *** [powersaved] Error 1
>
> Somehow I suspect that this might be related to this changelog entry:
>
>   * Build against libcpufreq0 which uses libsysfs2. Closes: #354738

libcpufreq has to be recompiled to pick up the now location of the
libtool la file of libsysfs. This is a problem of cpufrequtils and it's
probably best to file a bug report or request a binNMU for cpufrequtils.
It's not a problem of powersave.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?