Proposal for resolving powernowd/apmd vs. (k)powersave conflict

Luka Renko 74.luka at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 19:15:44 GMT 2006

I have installed these packages and have to say the kpowersave has improved
again. I like multi battery display.

> Richte powersaved ein (0.12.2-1ubuntu1) ...
> >  * Reloading system message bus
> config                                                                     [
> ok ]
> >  * Stopping ACPI
> services...
> [ ok ]
> modules...
> [ ok ]
> >  * Starting ACPI services...     acpid.real: can't open
> /proc/acpi/event: Device or resource busy

I did not experience this problem, therefore I am not sure what is different
on my machine from Achim's.

Besides these packaging issues, did (k)powersave work for you? Any
> problems so far?

My main issue is that Suspend to disk (hibernate) does not work. Suspend to
RAM did not  work before, therefore it is no news that it does not work.
Machine suspends properly, but on resume it hangs just before it should
switch to KDE (just after reading from swap).

I am now not sure if I can attribute this to new powersaved or is the issue
related to new kernel and other updates that were installed recently.
I hopped that there will be Kubuntu Flight5 released today, but it seems it
will be delayed. This is why I will probably pick up daily CD image and
install from scratch, first test with acpi-support that hibernate works and
then uprgade to powersaved.

I have also wanted to compile packages from your sources, and have got this
error when doing "dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot":

/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CXX --mode=link g++ -Wall  -DPOWERSAVE_DEBUG
-DUSE_SYSLOG -g -Wall -O2   -o powersaved  acpi.o apm.o config_pm.o
cpufreq_interface.o cpufreq_userspace.o cpufreq_kernel.o
event.ogeneral_config.o
powersaved.o scheme_config.o clientConnection.o event_management.o
stringutil.o dbus_server.o brightness.o pm_interface.o main_loop.o
throttle_interface.o battery.o device_management.o
device.ocpufreq_management.o ../libpower/libpowersave.la
../libpower/libpowersave_dbus.la ../libpower/libpowersave_hal.la -ldbus-1
-ldbus-glib-1 -ldbus-1 -lglib-2.0   -lhal -ldbus-1   -lcpufreq
mkdir .libs
libtool: link: cannot find the library `/lib/libsysfs.la'
make[3]: *** [powersaved] Error 1

Somehow I suspect that this might be related to this changelog entry:

  * Build against libcpufreq0 which uses libsysfs2. Closes: #354738

My Dapper system has only these libraries libsysfs:
/lib/libsysfs.so.2.0.0
/lib/libsysfs.so.2
/usr/lib/libsysfs.a
/usr/lib/libsysfs.so