kdm boots to terminal sometimes

golfer golfbuf at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 01:31:45 GMT 2006

On 3/8/06, Simon Edwards <simon at simonzone.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 March 2006 09:29, David wrote:
> > On dapper I have the same problem (unlike breezy). I
> > don't think this is a ati problem because the computer I have the problem on
> > has a nvidia geforce2 card. Also I don't think this is a xorg problem
> because
> > I only have to type ctrl-alt-f7 to go to the kdm gui. So it's starts
> > correctly but the startup sequence trows me on the console login on boot. I
> > tried to find out when it goes correctly and when it goes wrong but it seems
> > completely random :)

Yes, I also have an nvidia gf4 card.  Also, it's random and not every
time.  Never had this with breezy.  I saw a post somewhere where
people thought it might be their kdmrc file.  Of course the kdmrc is
heavily edited for dapper, so I haven't tried using the original (if
we even have it).

> There is a chance that this is caused by the kde-guidance package. Let's try
> to eliminate this suspect.
>
> Can you edit the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/40guidance-displayconfig_restore file and
> comment out the last time. Then try logging in/out a few times and see if the
> problem persists.

Yes, I'll comment this out and let you know my experience over the
next day(s).  It's a reboot issue on my system, not login/logout ..
although it occurs just when X is ready to start the kdm login screen.
 I have mine configured to auto login after 5 seconds, which is
something new for kdm.

regards,