kdm boots to terminal sometimes

golfer golfbuf at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 14:24:24 GMT 2006

I'm using dapper with daily updates.  kdm is currently at 3.5.1-0ubuntu12.

Sometimes kdm will drop me to the terminal during boot up right after
the usplash screen stops.  While the terminal screen is showing, the x
session is continuing to load.  I can access the x session by hitting
C-A-F7.  Sometimes, when I try C-A-F7, the keyboard will not work.
So, I have to reboot to make another attempt.  Or, I can C-A-F1, log
in, kill kdm, then restart it and get a good x session.

When I look in my /var/log/kdm.log:

X Window System Version 7.0.0
Release Date: 21 December 2005
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.0
Build Operating System:Linux 2.6.12 i686
Current Operating System: Linux localhost 2.6.15-17-686 #1 SMP PREEMPT
Fri Mar 3 01:37:48 UTC 2006 i686
Build Date: 21 December 2005
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue Mar  7 08:19:56 2006
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
error opening security policy file /etc/xserver/SecurityPolicy
kdmgreet: WARNING: KLocale: trying to look up "" in catalog. Fix the program
QImage::convertDepth: Image is a null image
QImage::smoothScale: Image is a null image

It's true that no SecurityPolicy exists at /etc, but does at /etc/X11/xserver.

Also, I've checked the configuration of my kdm via System Settings =>
Login Manager and the locale is clearly shown as US English (en_US).

I find this in my syslog whether it goes to the terminal or the x server:

syslog:Mar  7 07:43:28 localhost kdm_greet[12794]: Can't open default user face
syslog:Mar  7 07:43:37 localhost kdm_greet[12794]: Internal error:
memory corruption detected

There's nothing different in the Xorg.0.log from a boot to the
terminal or a normal boot to the x server.

Anyone have any ideas?  Is this a bug worthy of malone?

regards,