Kubuntu Laptop Testing

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at iserv.net
Tue Jun 27 18:26:39 BST 2006

On Tuesday 27 June 2006 11:59, Richard Johnson wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 June 2006 09:23, Hobbsee wrote:
> > > From: "Luke Monahan" <lukemonahan at gmail.com>
> > > - Laptops generally have a sales cycle of between 6 and 12 months.
> > > That is to say, a brand new model today is more often than not off the
> > > shelves 6 months later.  Also the sheer number of models available,
> > > including all the alternate names in different regions, is mind
> > > boggling.  All this makes it hard to find a model in the laptop
> > > testing pages that matches a model that is commonly available for sale
> > > right now.  What might be more useful from a laptop buyers
> > > point-of-view is a searchable database by component.  For example,
> > > "Give me reports on all laptops that are built on Intel Napa platform,
> > > Intel 3945 wireless, Intel Core-duo processor and ATI x1600 video"
> > > would be helpful for finding laptops with components similar to my own
> > > and seeing their compatability.  Possibly compatability reports on the
> > > individual components are the way to go, as well as complete laptop
> > > reports.

> Actually a very good idea, however wouldn't this be part of the hardware
> database that is currently be developed/ported to Kubuntu from Ubuntu? If
> not, I wouldn't mind working on the project if need be, as my background
> seems to be hardware extensive.

This is a great idea, there was the same discussion on the laptop testing team
with the end idea being to create/change the template that is currently setup
to include testing of only the differences between Kubuntu and Ubuntu.

So can we help them out by determining what the differences are between the
two?

Jonathan