Kubuntu Laptop Testing

Richard Johnson nixternal at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 16:59:39 BST 2006

On Tuesday 27 June 2006 09:23, Hobbsee wrote:
> > From: "Luke Monahan" <lukemonahan at gmail.com>
> > - Laptops generally have a sales cycle of between 6 and 12 months.
> > That is to say, a brand new model today is more often than not off the
> > shelves 6 months later.  Also the sheer number of models available,
> > including all the alternate names in different regions, is mind
> > boggling.  All this makes it hard to find a model in the laptop
> > testing pages that matches a model that is commonly available for sale
> > right now.  What might be more useful from a laptop buyers
> > point-of-view is a searchable database by component.  For example,
> > "Give me reports on all laptops that are built on Intel Napa platform,
> > Intel 3945 wireless, Intel Core-duo processor and ATI x1600 video"
> > would be helpful for finding laptops with components similar to my own
> > and seeing their compatability.  Possibly compatability reports on the
> > individual components are the way to go, as well as complete laptop
> > reports.
>
>>> That sounds like an incredibly sane idea to me.  Who's up for creating it?
>>>
> >>Hobbsee
Actually a very good idea, however wouldn't this be part of the hardware
database that is currently be developed/ported to Kubuntu from Ubuntu? If
not, I wouldn't mind working on the project if need be, as my background
seems to be hardware extensive.

--
Rich Johnson (nixternal)
http://home.comcast.net/~nixternal