Kubuntu Laptop Testing

Luke Monahan lukemonahan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 03:31:14 BST 2006

Hi,

This is something I'd like to get involved in (as soon as my laptop
finally gets delivered, but that's another story).

My random thoughts, in no specific order are:

- Would adding a Kubuntu-specific section to the existing laptop
testing template encourage more information to be given here? Or is
the best way to go still a dedicated Kubuntu laptop testing page for
each model?

- Have all the Canonical supplied laptops been tested with Kubuntu as
well as Ubuntu?  Could that be organised?

- Laptops generally have a sales cycle of between 6 and 12 months.
That is to say, a brand new model today is more often than not off the
shelves 6 months later.  Also the sheer number of models available,
including all the alternate names in different regions, is mind
boggling.  All this makes it hard to find a model in the laptop
testing pages that matches a model that is commonly available for sale
right now.  What might be more useful from a laptop buyers
point-of-view is a searchable database by component.  For example,
"Give me reports on all laptops that are built on Intel Napa platform,
Intel 3945 wireless, Intel Core-duo processor and ATI x1600 video"
would be helpful for finding laptops with components similar to my own
and seeing their compatability.  Possibly compatability reports on the
individual components are the way to go, as well as complete laptop
reports.

I can help by reporting on my own laptop (obviously) and any web
development or basic desktop application development that might
support the laptop testing team.

Cheers,

L.