Kubuntu default look
flavio.tordini at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 11:58:59 GMT 2006
I'm a Kubuntu user since the very first release. I'd like to propose
enhancements to the default Kubuntu look. Sane defaults are vital for people
not able or not willing to customize their desktop. I'm aware that this topic
is highly subjective and that there is no perfect solution, anyway here are
1. Use nuoveXT (http://nuovext.pwsp.net/) as the default iconset. nuoveXT
looks very professional and is available for both for KDE and Gnome. Kubuntu
should come with both versions installed.
2. Use DejaVu Sans Condensed instead of DejaVu Sans. The Condensed version is
smoother. The "sans" alias should be resolved to the chosen font and not to
3. Provide GTK+ libs configured with the ClearLooks theme, nuoveXT icons, and
Dejavu Sans Condensed. ClearLooks is cleaner and more stable than GtkQt,
users care more about great looking apps than identical widgets everywhere
(think OSX Aqua and Brushed Metal). A typical user will surely need at least
one GTK+ application, and it has to look good out of the box.
4. Use bigger icons, 16x16 icons are a relic from the past. The toobar icon
size should be 32x32. Some applications still have way too much toolbuttons
(e.g. KOffice), they should be simplified. Small icons should be 22x22. Icons
in the KMenu should be set to 32x32:
5. The color set is too dark/bluish. The "Redmond XP" color theme is a good
starting point, especially the light gray background. The "Contrast" setting
should be set to "Low". The "Alternate background in lists" should be set to
white. The violet Konqueror filelist background should be dropped in favor of
a plain white one.
6. The Lipstik style should be configured as shown in this screenshot
especially the menu gradients should be removed.
And here's the final result:
More information about the kubuntu-devel