Flight 4 is out

Luka Renko 74.luka at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 00:10:55 GMT 2006

Matthew and others,

I have now completed my page for testing of HP Compaq nw8240 with Kubuntu
Dapper Flight 4 (+latest daily updates):

It seems that Kubuntu/KDE laptop support is not as polished as Ubuntu/GNOME,
therefore I may try to install Ubuntu in next weeks just to understand
better the differences.
I also see that there is not many testers testing laptops on Kubuntu (at
least from test reports), which is probably the reason why support is

Some of the responses to your questions:

1) Hotkeys. Do they work?

Not yet. Paul Sladen mentioned in bug 20282 that this is now released,
however it still does not work on my system. I have also submitted change
request to FreeDesktop.org for extending keyboard layout and my change seems
to be accepted.

More info:

2) Suspend - we're using gnome-power-manager now. Does hitting the sleep
> key suspend? Does changing settings in gnome-power-manager let you
> change what the sleep key does? Does the machine wake up again?

This is still a pain and it looks like it is not just acpi-support, but also
problem of klaptop, which seems to die (or hang kded) on Suspend.

More info:

3) Hibernate - if you've been tracking dapper, your hibernate
> configuration may have been lost. Please check

This seems to work as expected, both with "flgrx" drivers (since Breezy) and
"ati drivers (for the first time - at least for me).

1) Synaptics pads may move very slowly

At least mine works as expected.

Other issues (major) that seems to be introduced with Flight 4:
- Install from gfxboot does not work: https://launchpad.net/bugs/31974
- fglrx: strange hangs of machine on X shutdown/restart:
- out-of-the-box support for ipw2200 broke: https://launchpad.net/bugs/32551

I have started looking more deep into Kpowersave (old version is in
universe), which looks much better than klaptop (and is actively
developed/maintained for SuSE and Debian). The only problem is that recent
versions want to remove "apmd" and "powernowd", which are part of *-desktop
meta packages. I will investigate if we can get around this issue.
More info: http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=29295