trying Xgl and compiz on KDE

golfer golfbuf at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 03:31:22 GMT 2006

On 2/21/06, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 01:57:27PM -0500, golfer wrote:
>
> > The tops of windows are missing, so there's no way to grab and move,
> > resize, or use windows.  Because of this, I couldn't use it long
> > enough to bugs hunt much.
>
> Install compiz-kde and run the decorator contained within it

Yes, thanks, I have both compiz and kde-window-decorator running.  I
have discovered that I can move a window by pressing the Alt key along
with the left mouse key.  I can resize by pressing the Alt key along
with the right mouse key.  But, once I maximize, or if a window starts
maximized, there does not seem to be a way to unmaximize it.

Regarding my other issue about the Win key not working to pop up the
menu, apparently is due to Xgl disabling the setxkbmap command.  I put
an 'Options  "XkbOptions"  "lv3:win_switch" line in my xorg.conf in
the keyboard input device section, and now I can use the Win key again
for popping the menu.

Also, I can't seem to get the compiz "switcher" to load in either gnome or KDE.

Ideas appreciated ..

regards,