sudo + X problem? (was:Re: dapper settings has miscellaneous Display)

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Thu Feb 16 07:24:20 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 15 February 2006 13:05, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 February 2006 15:56, golfer wrote:
> > On 2/14/06, Simon Edwards <simon at simonzone.com> wrote:
> > \> I installed Dapper flight 3 last night and displayconfig fired up fine.
> > How
> > > did you install Dapper? upgrade?
> > Yes I upgraded from breezy to dapper.
> > > What does "sudo echo $DISPLAY" give?
> >
> > golfbuf :~$ sudo echo $DISPLAY
> >
> > :0.0
> > Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> Hm, a xhost + as normal user does fix the problem here.

I've got dapper setup here and I'm seeing the same problem. It appears to be
something related to the .Xauthority file. It appears that Qt itself doesn't
suffer from this problem. Although running "sudo konsole" does print this
out:

----------------------------------
Xlib: No protocol specified

kdeinit: Can't connect to the X Server.
kdeinit: Might not terminate at end of session.
Xlib: No protocol specified

kded: cannot connect to X server :0
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-13756' to 'kded'
kded: ERROR: Communication problem with kded, it probably crashed.
QMultiInputContext::changeInputMethod(): index=0, slave=xim

Has sudo been changed somehow???

I'll be investigating this further...

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/