dapper settings has miscellaneous Display

Bernd Niederberger bernd.niederberger at hanse.net
Mon Feb 13 11:17:11 GMT 2006

Am Montag, 13. Februar 2006 11:59 schrieb Simon Edwards:
> On Monday 13 February 2006 11:22, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > On Saturday 11 February 2006 23:02, golfer wrote:
> > > I upgraded Breezy to Dapper and in the System Settings - System
> > > Administration selections is an icon for Display.  There's also an
> > > icon for Display in the Personal selections list.  The one in the
> > > Personal selections list works normally, but the one in the System
> > > Administration opens a window with an error message:
> > >
> > > The module Display could not be loaded.
> > >
> > > The diagnostics is:
> > >
> > > Possible reasons:
> > >
> > > - An error occurred during your last KDE upgrade leaving an orphaned
> > > control module
> > > - You have old third party modules lying around.
> > >
> > > Check these points carefully and try to remove the module meantioned
> > > in the error message.  If this fails, consider contacting your
> > > distributor or packager.
> >
> > One of those -- the crashing one =) -- is displayconfig from guidance.
> > We're working on getting it into shape before Dapper. The other one, the
> > unmaintained stock KDE one, should be removed. Displayconfig already is
> > superior with respect to features.
> >
> > Could you run kcmshell displayconfig and see what the error is?
>
> or even better, open a console and run:
>
>     sudo displayconfig

When I start the above command, I get the following error messages:
:) bernd at schlappi:~$ sudo displayconfig
Password:
Link points to "/tmp/ksocket-root"
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
kdeinit: Can't connect to the X Server.
kdeinit: Might not terminate at end of session.
Link points to "/tmp/kde-root"
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
kded: cannot connect to X server :0
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-14568' to 'kded'
kded: ERROR: Communication problem with kded, it probably crashed.
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/displayconfig", line 1624, in ?
    displayapp = DisplayApp()
  File "/usr/bin/displayconfig", line 417, in __init__
    self.xf86server = xf86misc.XF86Server()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/xf86misc.py", line 94, in __init__
    raise XF86Error, "Couldn't connect to X server."
xf86misc.XF86Error: Couldn't connect to X server.

--
Bernd Niederberger
GPG key: 0x753AB75C

--