dapper hplip not finding printer

golfer golfbuf at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 22:16:58 GMT 2006

I upgraded from breezy to dapper.  My HP PSC printer was working fine
in breezy, using hplip, but in dapper, it won't print, and hp-<> does
not see it:

golfbuf :~$ hp-info

 HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 0.9.6)
 Device Information Utility ver. 3.2

 Copyright (c) 2003-5 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
 This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
 This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
 under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

 [ERROR]: No devices found.
 [ERROR]: Error occured during interactive mode. Exiting.

I deleted the printer and tried to recreate it, but it can't because
hplip won't identify the hp:dev.

regards,