kubuntu-defaults

Jason Straight jason at jeetkunedomaster.net
Fri Feb 10 18:03:58 GMT 2006

First of all, I want to be known this is to be a discussion or plea, not a
rant, many of you know me in IRC as LeeJunFan.

I'm hoping that if the "simplified" kde config cannot be totally removed that
it can at least be better implemented.

First the why:
I don't believe in stupifying things for the goals of simplicity, removing
certain options from KDE is like removing the pliers from a leatherman,
dulling the edge of a knife, or removing the adjustment from a crescent
wrench.

Limiting the usefulness of a tool means you have to have many different tools
to do the job one multitool could take care of.

For instance:
The Open Terminal and Fine files options being removed from konqueror tool
menu no mean that for someone to find a file they need to learn to use find
or locate, and in order to open a shell at a location they have to open a
konsole and then cd to the directory where they want to operate. I fail to
see how that will make things simpler for anyone.

The ability to browse archives as folders removed from konqueror means someone
has to unzip any archive before they use it, and for the layperson choosing a
directory to extract to can be more daunting than simply dragging and
dropping the files to another konqueror window. Plus the ability to operate
on files in an archive itself can be rather useful. I have many e-books I
leave tared or zipped and use konqueror's browsable zip:/ and tar:/ features
exclusively for them.

Most "experts" will of course remove the kubuntu-defaults dir and replace
konqueror.rc, many of us in IRC sometimes forget which options have been
neutered, and we try to provide help to newbies by telling them to click on
options only to have them tell us they don't have that option available.

I really just don't see how "simplifying" KDE in such ways actually helps
anyone, more options == less steps, less options == ( more steps && more
confusion )

The major reason I came to kubuntu from Mandrake was because of all the
changes like this Mandrake/Mandrival (whatever) was making, I wanted a distro
with a more standard and untouched set of newer packages.

Implementing it via update-alternatives would at least be some of an
improvement if it's deemed it can't be removed alltogether.