Kubuntu default look

Craig Drummond craig_p_drummond at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 9 21:57:27 GMT 2006

Hi,

After the recent discussion about the default look of KUbuntu,  I'd like to
propose QtCurve [1] (although I admit to being biased, seeing as its my
work!). QtCurve is developed for both KDE and Gtk - the Gtk variant takes its
colours, and font settings, from your Qt settings.

Along with QtCurve, I'd also like to propose using GtkQt [2] to automatically
control the Gtk theme from the selected KDE theme. (GtkQt is a very simple
gtk plugin/theme that reads $HOME/.qt/qtrc to determine which KDE theme is
being used, and then matches this up to a Gtk theme)

To explain how this all works:

1. I have a custom /etc/profile.local which sets (amongst others), the
following:
    GTK2_RC_FILES=/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
    GTK_RC_FILES=/etc/gtk/gtkrc

2. /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc symlinks to /usr/share/themes/GtkQt/gtk-2.0/gtkrc, and
/etc/gtk/gtkrc symlinks to  /usr/share/themes/GtkQt/gtk/gtkrc

Now if I select QtCurve in System Settings, then the QtCurve Gtk theme is
automatically used by Gtk apps. However, if I select Plastik, etc, where no
1:1 matching Gtk theme can be found, then the "Qt" Gtk theme is used instead.
Similarly if a user had Mandrake's Galaxy theme installed, GtkQt would get
Gtk to use the Gtk version of Galaxy - as opposed to using the KDE version
via the "Qt" engine.

Therefore I have no need for the KControl module of the "Qt" gtk-engine. In
fact, I would've thought having this module present would be confusing for
most desktop users. KUbuntu is a KDE desktop afterall, so it should
automatically set the Gtk style, fonts, etc. from the corresponding KDE
settings.

Craig.

[1] http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=5065
[2] http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=6954