kdm doesn not start: krootimage problem

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Feb 6 15:32:38 GMT 2006

When upgrading my notebook from breezy / KDE 3.5.0 to the KDE 3.5.1 backport,
kdm broke in a way that it doesn't start anymore. /var/log/kdm.log says:

kdmgreet: WARNING: KLocale: trying to look up "" in catalog. Fix the program
krootimage: Fatal IO error: client killed

I've tried to fix it in various ways, among which reinstalling kdm with
purging /etc/kde3/kdm, to no avail. In the meantime, I've upgraded to Dapper
Drake, but the problem persists. Xorg starts and shows the moire screen, but
when kdm should startup, it crashes Xorg and I end up in textmode. If I
configure my system to use gdm, it works fine.

Does someone know this problem? Can someone suggest a fix for it?
--
sebas

When all you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.