new powermanager and battery

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Aug 30 14:12:24 BST 2006

As you might have noticed, development of the new powermanagement tool is
going quite well.

There are two issues, however, I'm currently running into:

* I do not own a second battery for the Ultrabay of my notebook, so I cannot
  implement support for this unfortunately. If someone wants to help out, I
  can assist with the code. If someone wants to send me a battery for the
  Ultrabay, that welcome of course, too. :-)

* HAL supports two levels of 'batterypower is low', one's called
  battery.charge_level.warning, the other one is battery.charge_level.low.
  From my measurements, the "warning" level is reached when 10 minutes of
  battery life is left, "low" is reached when the lights will go out in less
  than about half a minute. My configuration would hibernate at low level, but
  it might not come that far due to measurement skew, or die while
  hibernating. Therefore I'm pondering to not use the HAL provided values
  here, but have the user set those values up. There, we're running into
  another problem, of course. Using a treshold value of N minutes can be
  inaccurate due to power consumption changing over time. Using HAL's
  battery.charge_level.rate interpolates that a bit. Using a treshold of N mWh
  is nice for geeks, but has little value to those that are not arithmetic
  geniuses and know how much their hardware drains now and in the next
  minutes.

Thoughts?
--
sebas

Of course, the best way to get accurate information on Usenet is to post
something wrong and wait for corrections. - Matthew Austern