[kubuntu-devel] Re: system:/ kio question

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 25 23:09:22 BST 2006

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 06:59:30PM +0200, Christoph Wiesen wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 20. April 2006 19:45 schrieb Christoph Wiesen:
> > Maybe Jonathan or somebody on the dev team can respond to this, so I know
> > how to handle this:
> >
> > Is system:/home a temporary problem or is it planned to have system:/home
> > instead of a link to /home/username/ for normal file system browsing in the
> > final?

Tonio made a patch to for system:/ to go to /home/foo not
system:/home, I'm reluctant to change from upstream KDE but the patch
doesn't seem to cause any significant problems and stops a lot of
confustion so I'll add it back.  Openoffice has also been recently
patched to have KDE not pass it system URLs.

> There are a few major problems and many minor annoyances. In case system:/home
> will not be used default in Kubuntu most of those could be reported to KDE
> directly instead of Kubuntu - since it will not be that big of a priority for
> Kubuntu.
> If system:/ and specifically system:/home is used a lot in Kubuntu I would
> like to report the minor problems as Kubuntu bugs as well, so they can be
> fixed for the next realease edgy or some of them even in time for a more
> polished dapper.
>
> I don't want to be rude or something by pointing out all those minor flaws to
> Kubuntu directly, unless it's important for Kubuntu to know them (example:
> icon from .directory not showing up in the address bar) since I assume most
> of them have to be fixed in KDE anyway.

All patches accepted of course :)

Jonathan