Proposal for resolving powernowd/apmd vs. (k)powersave conflict

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Wed Apr 19 12:43:19 BST 2006

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 13:14, Michel D'HOOGE wrote:
> > Have you tried to put CPUFREQ_CONTROL="userspace" in
> > /etc/powersave/cpufreq ?
>
> Not yet because I first wanted to try the ondemand governor. I may be
> stubborn but I like to be sure of what's happening before trying something
> else :-) And I thought Ubuntu/gnome/whatever was using it but maybe I am
> wrong. I am currently reading the kernel documentation to try to get a good
> grasp of the whole thing.

Was the kernel ondemand governor loaded? What say
'cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors' ?

> What does /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq say?
>
> Plenty of interesting things ;-) This is really what I was missing to know
> precisely the current frequency - well, at least, I guess we can trust it?

Yes

> BTW, I am still upset by the "throttling" thing. Is it the same thing as
> CPU freq controlling, or does it come in addition?

If your machine support cpufreq, don't touch throttling. Btw. throttling save
not really power or reduce the power consumtion of your machine, but slow
down all processes.

> I meant that after resuming from STR, Kpowersave always says the frequency
> is 800MHz even if I ask it to switch to  the performance scheme. I still
> need to experiment to determine the best configuration.

What say: 'grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ -r' (as root) before
suspend and what after resume?

Cheers,

Danny