[kubuntu-devel] notes on live cd: breezy Kubuntu 5.10

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Wed Oct 5 13:02:42 CDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 08:02:45AM +0300, Donatas G. wrote:
> KDE system settings dialogs grow beyond my screen and refuse to shrink. My
> resolution is- 1024-768, and it does not change to a bigger one.

Known problem unforuntatly.

> Is KDE system settings translatable? If so, how?

Yes, through the normal KDE means.  It's in
playground/base/systemsettings

Rosetta translation should be available soon with any luck.

> Is it possible to change
> Ktips for Kubuntu to refer not to the KDE Control Center but to the System
> settings? Might be confusing for novices...

ktip isn't part of the normal Kubutu install.  It is in main though so
I guess I should change it or move it out of main.

> In the start meniu margin it still says Kubuntu 5.4 ...

Fixed.

> KDE languages are not available. I rememeber Jonathan saying they will be:
> 200508-08 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > The good news is that we now have split language packs,
> > language-pack-xx, language-pack-gnome-xx and language-pack-kde-xx
> > which means the breezy kubuntu CDs will actually have KDE transltions
> > on them.
>
> Will they?

Yep, now in.

> No reference to Kcontrol in kmenu, but it still can be run from command line.
> Is that the intended behaviour?

System Settings is there instead now.

> Krita has no handbook. would be good for such a complex application.

Agreed.  I'm sure they'd appreciate any help on that.

> Kynaptic also lacks a handbook - would be important for a default package
> manager.

Being replaced by adept, we'll have some kubuntu documentation for this.

> OpenOffice shots in ?Kubuntu user guide? are still of ooo 1.1.3.

Being updated as I type.

> No information on Katapult found (anywhere). Could not figure out how to use
> it.

Alt+space.  There was a systray applet but I turned it off since it
didn't do anything (even launch katapult).  Any ideas on how to make
alt+space more obvious welcome.

> When I inserted my usb disk, it did not appear in media:/ or on the desktop.
> however, it was automounted, I guess, in /media/usbdisk/ - I did not have to
> perform any mount...

Fixed.

Jonathan