Ryan Walklin ryanwalklin at orcon.net.nz
Fri Nov 18 23:01:58 CST 2005

Just my $0.02...

Konqueror has frustrated me since Hoary due to its kitchen-sink
approach, particularly since I prefer Firefox for browsing. It seems to
be overly cluttered and complicated by default, and its habit of opening
documents in-place is frustrating. If I'm working in a directory and
click on a PDF, I don't want it to take over what I'm doing. I'd much
rather Krusader as a simple alternative. I appreciate there's limited
space in a 650mb .iso, but i would have thought offline system tools
should take precedence over things like P2P clients, which rely on
internet access and so can be downloaded rather than be provided on CD.

Having said that, I really like the way Kontact combines related
functions into a single program. To me it makes much more sense to have
related PIM functions (calender, address book, mail etc) in a single app
than having wildly disparate ones (web browsing, file management,
document previewing) lumped together just because its possible.

As an aside, has anyone considered popping up the unofficial Kubuntu
guide (or something like it as I'm not sure if it's been updated for
Breezy) on a successful install, so that newbies have something to go on
in terms of getting apps installed and multimedia etc going?

Regards,

Ryan Walklin