media:/ shows unnecessary media

Rajeev J Sebastian rajeev_jsv at dinamis.com
Mon May 30 12:31:06 CDT 2005

On Monday 30 May 2005 8:12 am, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> On Mon, 30 May 2005 03:14:57 +0000, Rajeev J Sebastian wrote:
> > On Sunday 29 May 2005 2:48 pm, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> >> Can't hotplug and udev handle this?
> >
> > Dunno what either of them do, to tell you the truth. What are they ?
>
> Hotplug is the kernel mechanism to load/unload modules depending on
> hardware detected/inserted/removed. udev is a mechanism to implenet
> devfs in userspace; it creates nodes only for the devices present in
> the system, removing them when not present anymore, etc. I don't know
> the details, but I think HAL and DBUS are built on it. In some way,
> they should be able to handle all the aspects you are looking for.
Well, I did some reading last night, and what is found is that HAL is supposed
to be a wrapper to hotplug etc, *so that programs like what im proposing* can
be written easily, i.e., the program which I am proposing (let's call it KMM)
is a perfect case for the use of HAL within it, and HAL was built for such
use.

Second, the patch I made to pmount: reading the code and comments last night,
the restriction that pmount currently only mounts removable devices, is a
*feature* of pmount. I think it's because of security considerations. I will
try to talk to Martin Pitt (author of pmount) regarding this.

Rajeev J Sebastian