media:/ shows unnecessary media

Kari Pihkala kari.pihkala at gmail.com
Thu May 26 00:19:06 CDT 2005

1. It doesn't look like it is possible to remove partitions from the
media list (e.g. swap partitions).
2. Sadly, figuring out the drive letter for Windows partitions is not
that simple. For instance, I have C, D, and F (E is the CD-ROM). So,
perhaps it should simply show Windows 1, Windows 2,... so that it
wouldn't confuse people.

The list is automatically persistent over bootups. It could check that
if a media doesn't yet have a user label, then it would assign one. If
the media has a user label, then don't overwrite it. That way, the
user could also rename them.

CD-ROMs seems to be fine - they display the CD label. Actually,
harddisk partitions also have a label - is it useful?

So, my machine would look like (unknown is some logical partition
created by windows):
Floppy Drive
Linux A2 (32M Media)
Linux A5 (8.4G Media)