Apt pinning

Abdullah Ramazanoglu ar018 at yahoo.com
Wed May 18 12:39:46 CDT 2005

Hello,

In order to preserve official packages regardless of their versions, and
only get missing ones from unofficial repos, I've used this apt pinning
rules in Kubuntu FAQ:

================================
Package: *
Pin: release a=hoary, v=5.04
Pin-Priority: 1000

Package: *
Pin: release a=hoary-security, v=5.04
Pin-Priority: 1000

Package: *
Pin: release a=hoary-updates, v=5.04
Pin-Priority: 1000
================================

However, I'm concerned that an externally eligible package (missing in
official repos) may depend on a specific version of an official package so
apt may fetch it from an unofficial repo. In such a scenario, I would like
apt rejecting to install the main package in question (because it depends
on a specific version of an official package and that version missing from
official repos).

For example, I may install kplayer (unofficial) and kplayer in turn may
depend on a specific version of mplayer that is only found in another
unofficial repo. What would apt do with this pinning above? Reject
installing kplayer, or fetch the unofficial version of mplayer?

I thought of specifying official repos with priority 1001, but I'm not sure
if it would cause a racing condition between different versions of a same
package in different official repos (each trying to force its own version)

Which is the best one, 1000 or 1001?

What I'm trying to do as the bottom line is, that making sure that no
package from an unofficial repository will ever get installed under any
condition whatsoever, as long as a package with that same name does also
exist in one of the official repos.

Thanks and best regards,
--
Abdullah Ramazanoglu