[kubuntu-devel] Kubuntu Beta / Test Releases?

Christoph Wiesen chris at deadhand.com
Fri Feb 4 07:19:27 CST 2005

Am Freitag, 4. Februar 2005 05:33 schrieb Jonathan Riddell:
> On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:21:29AM +0100, chris at deadhand.com wrote:
> > I'd like to start some discussion on this list about if and how some kind
> > of (beta) testing of "Kubuntu" / "Ubuntu/KDE" / ... might happen.
> As you may have guessed by the lack of reply we're all quite busy on
> other things.
> At some point amu will make a kubuntu metapackage with
> a list of packages we want and from that make a live CD, but he says
> he's busy for the next few weeks.

Busy is good, ain't it? ;)

I guess when the meta package arrives some of the KDE settings will be
changed to different defaults? Like Ubuntu has different GNOME defaults.

I ask this because I had send an eMail to amu and chris halls about "my ideas"
for that but I suppose they are really too busy with more important stuff or
have a clear idea of wht they want already.
And my mails tend to become a bit too 'verbose' I admit :-/

> > There are some minor issues, like;
> > - the directory icons in K-Menu not showing (for directories like
> > "Accessories", "Games" and so on)
> K-Menu is quite broken at the moment, some of it can be fixed by
> installing the gnome-menus package but I need to read up on the (awfae
> complex) xdg menu specification to work out a proper solution.
> > - aKregator kontact Plugin starts extremely slow, and aKregator handles a
> > lot worse than in e.g. SuSE
> Curious, will have to investigate that.
> > And some others along those lines.
> Please report them here.

Ok, actually the two mentioned here are the only ones that come to my mind
right now.
I have to admit though that I haven't been running Ubuntu so much lately -
crashes in world of warcraft, but that's another story (after two years I'm
running SuSE again right now).

> > The most interesting thing about a Kubuntu test installation for me would
> > be to see what can alreday be achieved (via GUI) out of the box. For
> > example to set up ISDN or IR-connections I'd install several additional
> > packages and do some trial and error right now. I don't use those
> > technologies (only examples) myself but i guess they are expected to
> > "just work" by some users, so I'd be here to test these if none of you
> > devs gets around to this kind of work.
> Hopefully we can use/make frontends to gnome-system tools at some
> point for this.

Did you consider using webmin as an interim solution? Just curious because I
think writting new tools would take a lot of time and have some kind of GUI
tool before that is better than having none at all imo.

> > I'd really like to test a vanilla kubuntu installation and look for such
> > minor quirks or give some feedback on what packages might be "missing"
> > from my pov.
> Keep your eye out for a kubuntu metapackage at some point.
I will :)

Thanks again!

Kind regards,