kubuntu faq suggestions

Sean Wheller sean at inwords.co.za
Sat Aug 6 02:05:57 CDT 2005

On Saturday 06 August 2005 08:55, Lex Hider wrote:
> Spent some time today helping some people out in #kubuntu irc channel. Here
> are 2 topics which I think would be useful additions to kubuntu's faq.
>
> 1) INSTALLING PROGRAMS.
>
> Users need to be aware that the preferred way to install programs is via
> the ubuntu archives. i.e. apt-get install foo, or aptitude, kynaptic, etc.
> I saw a couple of people with questions like:
> * I've downloaded firefox.tar.gz, how do I install it.
> * how do I install a deb. I have downloaded somefile.deb and want to
> download it.
>
> In both cases, the answer was: run "sudo apt-get install name_of_app".
>
> I think the idea of the central repository for programs is a bit foreign
> for users coming from mac or windows. I think we need to make it clear the
> different way that kubuntu does this.
>
> Others can use whether to recommend: aptitude, apt-get, kynaptic, etc.
>
> 2) ASKING FOR HELP.
>
> What steps does one take when they are in need of assistance. From a bit of
> experience my own formula is.
>
> 1) search google, google groups and site:ubuntu.com.
> 2) ask on irc. If no answer inside of about 5 minutes, go on to step 3.
> 3) ask on kubuntu-users
>
> I'm sure we've all seen frustrated users on IRC asking the same question
> every 30 seconds. I think one reason for this is they are unaware of the
> different ways of getting help.

Hello Lex.

Thanks for the input, a FAQ for Kubuntu is a work in progress current status
can be found at http://lnix.net/~froud

I am sending your message to ubuntu-docs. I think the people developing FAQ
Guides will be very interested in your comments.

Naturally you are always welcome to add your ideas to the FAQ Guide. The src
is in Docbook and can be gotten from ubuntu docteam svn.

svn co https://docteam.ubuntu.com/repos/trunk ubuntu-docs

patches welcome. :-)

--
Sean Wheller