[Bug 713157] [NEW] dbus-daemon maxes cpu, programs won't start

John Charonko 713157 at bugs.launchpad.net
Fri Feb 4 15:32:21 UTC 2011

Public bug reported:

Binary package hint: kdebase

I believe I have dbus 1.4.0-0ubuntu1.1 installed.

This bug occurs whenever I leave my computer on for more than a few
days.  There are three instances of dbus-daemon running on my computer,
the system bus, owned by user 'messagebus', and two session buses, owned
by users 'kdm' and my user account.  It's the instance started under my
user account that is having the problems.

The behavior I see is that dbus-daemon maxes out one of the 8
"processors" in my machine (it's really only quad core), leading to a
constant 12% load.  It doesn't sound like much, but with dbus-daemon
freaking out, it prevents applications from starting normally.
Sometimes nothing happens, but most of the time an icon for the program
will appear in the task manager with a "busy" icon for a while, then
disappear.  Running applications continue to work normally, with the
exception of dolphin, which sometimes (but not always) will freeze in
some of the open windows.  If I close open applications, the programs
that I have tried to start but never appeared will appear one at a time
in the order in which I tried to run them, one for every application

The only work-around is to log out of my session and then log back in.
This is a total productivity hog since I have to open all my documents
up again.

While this is going on, the machine is practically unusable for any real
work.  I never realized how often I open and close programs until I

I've looked at a lot of other dbus-daemon bugs on the internet, and I've
tried a couple of the things they've suggested, but I haven't been able
to isolate a process that's a fault (spamming the bus, etc.).  I've
tried running dbus-monitor on the session bus a couple of times before
and after the problem starts, but usually it's tough to do because I
can't always get konsole started to run it in.  The times I have, I've
seen a reasonably regular rate of traffic when everything is acting
normally, and no traffic at all when the dbus-daemon is locking up the
cpu.  I may be doing it wrong though - I'm no expert, I just tried some
stuff I read on forums.

Theoretically ubuntu-bug should have appended a bunch of my system info
automatically.  If it doesn't show up, let me know what you need, and
I'll add it to the bug.  I can also try to run any other commands you
think might help debug this.


ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
Package: konqueror (not installed)
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-25.44-generic
Uname: Linux 2.6.35-25-generic x86_64
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
Architecture: amd64
Date: Fri Feb  4 09:38:52 2011
InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Release amd64 (20101007)
 PATH=(custom, no user)
SourcePackage: kdebase

** Affects: kdebase (Ubuntu)
     Importance: Undecided
         Status: New

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug maverick

You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to kdebase in ubuntu.

  dbus-daemon maxes cpu, programs won't start

More information about the kubuntu-bugs mailing list