[Bug 611380] [NEW] using kde apps in gnome crashes x server
Launchpad Bug Tracker
611380 at bugs.launchpad.net
Sun Apr 10 03:01:51 UTC 2011
You have been subscribed to a public bug:
(As this bug probably has something to do with the interaction between
the KDE app(s) in question and GNOME and X, I'm not totally sure where
to put this.)
tl;dr: If I'm using a KDE app during a GNOME session, sometimes it will log me out, which upon further research is caused by an X Server crash. This happens sporadically and I have not been able to pin down any one action that causes it, but it seems to be because of some sort of segmentation fault.
I'm using the usual Ubuntu (GNOME) install, updated regularly but
running one or two KDE-based apps on top of it - the one that most
commonly triggers this condition is KolourPaint on top of GNOME, but
that's because that's the one I most commonly use. (Then again, I'm
using it because GNOME-based paint program clones are not nearly at that
level of development.)
This is what I generally do:
1. Log in and start any GNOME programs. This works fine.
2. Start the KDE-based program. This also works fine.
3. At some point while fooling around with said KDE-based program, the entire X Server is brought down. No, I can't seem to isolate this to any particular action or set of actions.
1. This error seems to have replaced the fact that when said program crashes, it brings up an error screen with the intent to report a bug, where the button to actually report said bug is nonfunctional (due to the fact that I do not actually have a full complement of Kubuntu packages).
2. The error in question, both in the previous report-a-bug screen and now with X crashes, seems to be some sort of segmentation fault. Not that I know what that means.
3. I didn't report this error when it brought up the KDE error screen. I report it now. That's because I'd vastly prefer catching bugs, even without saving program state, to completely upending X. Ending every program without so much as giving the user a chance to save state is /not nice/.
4. Despite the fact that I'm not totally sure whether this is an X bug or not, I used the report-with-X-info anyway; it might be useful.
5. I'm going to get a backtrace as soon as I can.
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
Package: xorg 1:7.5+5ubuntu1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-24.38-generic 22.214.171.124+drm33.5
Uname: Linux 2.6.32-24-generic i686
Date: Thu Jul 29 09:07:06 2010
DkmsStatus: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" - Release i386 (20091028.5)
MachineType: Sony Corporation VGN-C190G
no product info available
ProcCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-24-generic root=UUID=0cb9888d-ddc8-4080-bd8b-4f36fdee854a ro quiet splash
dmi.bios.vendor: Phoenix Technologies LTD
dmi.board.vendor: Sony Corporation
dmi.chassis.vendor: Sony Corporation
dmi.sys.vendor: Sony Corporation
** Affects: kdebase-runtime (Ubuntu)
** Tags: apport-bug crash i386 kubuntu lucid
using kde apps in gnome crashes x server
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kubuntu Bugs, which is subscribed to kdebase-runtime in Ubuntu.
More information about the kubuntu-bugs