[Bug 147080] Re: do-release-upgrade should make disabling third party repositories optional
broder at mit.edu
Mon Jan 12 16:53:35 UTC 2009
** Description changed:
Binary package hint: update-manager-core
Currently, do-release-upgrade will automatically disable third party
repositories that it finds in /etc/apt/sources.list.
- Better behavior is to ask the system admin what it should do.
+ A better option would be to add a config option to /etc/update-manager
+ /release-upgrades (like DisableThirdPartyRepos) to determine whether or
+ not to disable third party repositories.
Use case: I use apt-mirror to maintain a local mirror of Ubuntu
repositories, in order to minimize my own bandwidth usage and to relieve
strain on Ubuntu servers. Current behavior does not allow me to use the
local network mirror, but instead sends me to archive.ubuntu.com.
+ Use case 2: We maintain a local apt repo with site-specific packages
+ that we don't want to get disabled when there's a release upgrade.
1. As Ubuntu grows, demands on its servers will grow; local admins should have the option to point to other mirrors if they are confident of the currency of the mirror.
2. It is much, much faster to upgrade over a local network than to retrieve all the files over the network -- on the order of 10 to 15 times faster using 100 Mb Ethernet and 100 times faster on Gb Ethernet. If the admin has a non-trivial number of computers to upgrade, the admin will definitely want to use a local mirror.
- 3. Enterprise customers will likely want to fine-tune their upgrade paths to meet organizational requirements. The customer should have that option.
- Happy Trails,
- Loye Young
- Isaac & Young Computer Company
- Laredo, Texas
+ 3. Enterprise customers will likely want to fine-tune their upgrade paths to meet organizational requirements. The customer should have that option.
do-release-upgrade should make disabling third party repositories optional
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to adept in ubuntu.
More information about the kubuntu-bugs