[Bug 90069] "Shift+click" _de-selects_ files in KDE "Open file" -dialog and Konqueror
ko69859 at uta.fi
Tue Mar 6 09:49:31 UTC 2007
Public bug reported:
Binary package hint: kdebase
Using Kubuntu Dapper, with KDE 3.5.5, and with "single click to
In the KDE file open dialog (used by e.g. OpenOffice and Kate, among
others), and somehow also Konqueror, "Shift+click" works in a very
strange way. Files get _removed from the selection_ under various
conditions, which, in my opinion, should not occur while using
"Shift+click". In other words, "expanding" the selection does not work
- Click = Select.
- Ctrl+click = Add file to selected.
- Shift+click = Broaden the selection to contain the newly clicked file _and_ the files in-between this and last selection. This _should not remove any previous selections_.
I will give an example of expected "Shift+click" behaviour, where we
have two or more files / groups of files selected, and _unselected files
between these_. In the example, "x" denotes a selected file, "X" denotes
the one we (Shift/Ctrl+)clicked on last, and numbers denote unselected
files. "Y" denotes the file we "Shift+click" immediately after "X", and
which becomes our new "last clicked file".
We have a selection like this: xxxxx123456xxxxxX789xxxx.
So, if we now "Shift+click" on "3", we expect the files between and
including "X" and "3" to be selected.
So we will have: xxxxx12Yxxxxxxxxx789xxxx.
What actually happens, is different.
In the "Open file" -dialog (N.B. This is also how Konqueror's "Icon view" and "Multicolumn view" behave!):
- We can "Click" or "Ctrl+click" as we like, and this works as expected.
- When we "Shift+click", only the files between "X" and "Y" are selected, and _selection is removed_ from other files!
- We can continue our "Shift+click" travels in the dialog, and always _only_ the files between our two last "Shift+clicks" will be selected, and the rest are _de-selected_.
- In sum, instead of "expanding" the selection with "Shift+click", the selection "travels" along.
(N.B. These are also selected in a rectangular manner, see http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=59228, but that is a different issue. This report is about files being removed from selection while "Shift" has been pressed.)
In Konqueror (detailed file list view, list view, tree view, text view):
- We can't directly "Click" on a file, because that would execute it. Well, we can, mostly, which gets the file selected anyway, besides opening it in e.g. Kate.
- We can also click _beside_ the file, or "Ctrl+click" on the file to select it.
- We now have selected a file, let's call it file "A".
- If we now "Shift+click" below this file, it appears to work as designed.
- However, if after this we "Shift+click" _above_ file "A", we see that the selection is changed to contain the files from "A" upwards, including file "A", and the selection from "A" downwards is again _removed_.
- You can also demonstrate this behaviour by "Ctrl+clicking" on a number of distinct files, with unselected files in between, and after that start "Shift+clicking" above and below these files. You will see that files will get removed from the selection as you proceed.
- Again, instead of "expanding" the selection with "Shift+click", the selection "travels".
** Affects: kdebase (Ubuntu)
"Shift+click" _de-selects_ files in KDE "Open file" -dialog and Konqueror
More information about the kubuntu-bugs