[UPDATE] A new SRU cycle started...

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Tue Oct 15 13:39:49 UTC 2024

On 30.09.24 18:15, Stefan Bader wrote:
> cycle: 30-Sep through 27-Oct (4 weeks [1])
>           25-Sep   Last day for kernel commits for this cycle.
> 30-Sep - 04-Oct   Kernel prep week.
> 07-Oct - 25-Oct   Bug verification & Regression testing.
>   Week of 28-Oct   Release to -updates.
>

> Kernel Versions [2]
> noble:
>      linux:               6.8.0-48.48
> jammy:
>      linux:               5.15.0-125.135
>      linux-hwe-6.8:       6.8.0-48.48~22.04.1
> focal:
>      linux:               5.4.0-200.220
>      linux-hwe-5.15:      5.15.0-125.135~20.04.1

As the next cycle draws closer we discussed today how to schedule things
for the remainder of this year. The first week of next cycle falls into
the company's engineering sprint. This means everybody will be busy with
other things and kernel preparations will effectively not start before
the week after. However we keep the start date for the cycle and just
extend it by a week. The same applies for the security cycle which
starts in parallel with the SRU cycle (will be 3 weeks instead of 2).

The cut-off date for standard SRU changes will remain the 23rd of
October. HOWEVER!
Since the next cycle would start on Dec-02 and with the end of year and
the related holidays there is not enough time to fit a proper SRU cycle.
So there will only be a security cycle and we will use the time to clean
out the queues and work on processes and tooling which otherwise hardly
get done. This means Oct-23 is the cut-off for any standard SRU!

> cycle: 28-Oct through 01-Dec (5 weeks)
>    23-Oct   Last day for kernel commits for this cycle.

+     28-Oct - 08-Nov   Kernel prep week(s).
+    11-Nov - 29-Nov   Bug verification & Regression testing.
+    Week of 02-Dec   Release to -updates.

> [1] Planned as a 4w cycle but might extend depending on availability
>      of test infrastructure.
> [2] Tentative versions, might change due to re-spins

This first cycle next year will likely start Jan-13 when everyone is back.

--
- Stefan