[SRU][F:linux-kvm][PULL] UBUNTU: [Config] kvm: Include master annotations

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Mon Oct 23 16:05:38 UTC 2023

On 23.10.23 16:47, Thibault Ferrante wrote:
> BugLink: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2039930
>
> SRU Justification:
>
> [Impact]
>
> Include master annotations and remove disabling overwrites not related
> to hardware support.
> This will ease support for kvm derivatives until EOL.

This is probably not what should be done. This kernel differs a lot in
what is enabled not by accident but intentionally. However it is not
ideally named.  Unlike that name suggest this was not created as a VM
kernel but as a fast-boot minimal kernel to quickly deploy and bring up.
So it has not only lots of hardware disabled but also just a minimal
support for other things to keep the footprint as small as possible.

Unfortunately, due to the naming, it got used for things we did not
intend but even then we would only enable selected things if we really
had to. And IMO we should stick to that.

-Stefan