linux-headers-5.15.0-1027-gke is removed from jammy last night]

Phil Roche phil.roche at canonical.com
Thu May 11 09:17:29 UTC 2023

@tailinchu at gmail.com Hi,

I work on the Canonical Public Cloud team, and I work with the GKE team to
build and publish the Ubuntu GKE node images.

The headers are pre-installed in all the Ubuntu node images

```
~$ apt list --installed | grep headers
linux-gke-headers-5.15.0-1028/now 5.15.0-1028.33 amd64 [installed,local]
linux-headers-5.15.0-1028-gke/now 5.15.0-1028.33 amd64 [installed,local]
linux-headers-gke-5.15/now 5.15.0.1028.27 amd64 [installed,local]
```

> From that mailing list post, that timeline was not publicly announced
> on gke updates, so we were completely unaware of it, and caused
> incidents. Our current workaround is using 20.04 with the older gke
> version because the new auto cleanup process is for jammy and later,
> but I hope that older kernel can be kept around.

Aside from any discussions about the pruning of the headers from the
archive, another workaround or  - permanent solution - is to bind mount
what you need from the host to the container. The headers are present on
the node so this should work.

> Does canonical collaborate gcp to create node image?

Yes, we do.

> If so, I can also
> forward this to our gcp dedicated account team.

Yes, I see there was an internal case raised now which I will respond to.

Phil

--
Phil Roche
Staff Software Engineer